[FC] "Gen" light

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 16 20:45:34 EDT 2011

>  Also, if you can't turn your alt fan by hand the belt is most likely
too tight.

Nothing personal, but I do not share that commonly held opinion.  I'd
say, "If one can turn your alt fan by hand the belt is most likely too
loose."  Sorry, I'm a tight belt guy -- keeps your pants from running on
the ground.  Should have been at the Corsa Oregon Corvair College for a
demonstration of such.

Many of us have many thousands of miles of alternator use without the
rear bracket. Yes, the alternator may vibrate a tiny bit without it, but
then, it vibrates with it, too.  Vibrates less when the belt is tight.
I also think they are making fan belts better these days - whether
materials or construction techniques, I don't know, but I haven't thrown
one since I returned from Group Red.  Yes, the 60 is an auto, but the
wagon is a 140 / 4-speed ...

Only 12 V indicates trouble -- try taking it in to have "someone with
skill" bench test it -- generally free.  It used to be they were set at
13.8 - 14.2 volts, but lately, my experience is that newer regulators
seem to be running more in the 14.0 - 15.0 range.

Which alternator are you running, Tim?

Bill Strickland