[FC] Problem after installing High Volume Blower Motor

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:49:54 EDT 2011

Andrew - I recently adapted some OEM electric fans to my F150 (replacing the roaring belt driven fan) and ran across some very interesting info in the process.  Like you, I assumed I would run a switch to a heavy duty relay (80amp in this case, as these fans can pull 70 amp peak at startup) and call it a day.   Not quite so simple.  It makes sense though - when power is removed from a spinning electric motor, that motor becomes a generator and backfeeds the system.  This can last a while on something like a blower motor on high speed with a flywheel (fan) attached.  Or in my case, fans mounted behind a radiator that freewheel when going down the road - turned by the incoming air.

Solution is very simple - you need a diode (one way check valve) between your power and ground.  The banded side of the diode goes to the + source (DOUBLE CHECK ME ON THAT THOUGH).   This also eliminates the arcing of the contacts in the relay when the contacts open (switch the relay off).  Many better and OEM relays have built in diodes for this exact reason.  Similar to a condenser in a points system.  The cheap $5 relays at the parts store don't have this feature.  Bosch makes some nice 70 (or is it 80 or 90???)  relays with built in diodes.  I am using an 80 amp (not Bosch) intended for car stereo or battery isolation I got from Amazon for about $16 shipped.  Large, like a starter relay... Speaking of using starter relays for things like this - don't - they are not continuous duty.  http://www.amazon.com/80-AMP-RELAY-12-VOLTS/dp/B001EAWS6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319730415&sr=8-1

The diode you need is #276-1144 from Radio Shack.  They are always in stock.  It feels weird connecting your big +12v power wire to ground through a diode, but believe me it works.  Tap in somewhere between the fan and the relay obviously.

A google search of electric fan diode will send you to forums that have better explanations than mine - like this:   http://www.chevelles.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-109626.html

Oh, and make sure your squirrel cage fan is correct.  Years ago I replaced the stock metal one with a plastic fan and it was backwards as I remember.  Frustrating to have a high volume motor, lots of noise and amp draw, but little airflow - lol.

Hope this helps.

Andy