[FC] Door alignment when painting

Steve Spilatro spilatrs at marietta.edu
Thu Sep 15 22:23:15 EDT 2011

I'm approaching the time when I shell out the bucks to have my FC painted.  Currently, it's epoxy primed and urethane surfaced; I plan to have a pro do the finish coat.  What's the logical painting sequence for the doors and best way to deal with door alignment?  I plan to deliver the van with the doors installed and aligned, but the doors and hinges will need to be removed to allow jams to be painted.  I believe the doors will be reinstalled when the exterior is painted (??), and if they are, the doors and hinges will need to be removed again to install the hinge grommets. What's the best way to restore the door alignment, I certainly don't want to jimmy-around a whole lot trying to get the doors realigned after they're painted?  Someone told me that it's common to drill a small hole through the hinges into the jam just big enough for a small finishing nail that can then be used to reset the alignment, but this seems rather destructive.  Any tricks and suggestions from those with experience is much appreciated.
Steve
Marietta, OH