[FC] Faux West Coast Mirrors?

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sun Sep 18 20:46:02 EDT 2011

Here is a bit more info:

http://www.corvairkid.com/fc_mirror.htm

--Kent
-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Vairtec Corporation
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 9:54 AM
To: corvanatics at corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] Faux West Coast Mirrors?

Andrew, what you have there is the factory-correct 1963-style FC mirror
brackets, with an aftermarket mirror head installed.

The brackets have been adjusted waay forward from the intended stock
location, but as you noted this may have been done for improved sightlines.

At the link below you will be a complete original, with the correct mirror
head and the brackets adjusted more toward the original intended location.

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/njace/Schwartz%20Greenbrier%20Camper%20at%20
Franklin%20Lakes%202010.jpg

These mirrors, by the way, were not correctly called "Junior West Coast
style" until the 1964 model year and the mirror design seen in this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/2532919460/

--Bob Marlow

On 9/9/2011 12:23 PM, Andrew Sego wrote:
> I'm trying to identify the source of the mirrors on my truck.  They are
"west coast style" but as far as I know they are not the factory "big"
mirrors.  They do not match the drawings in the assembly manual.  I assume
that they were some sort of JC Whitney part from way back when.   However
the lower mounting brackets looks like it is contoured specifically for an
FC.  I just noticed the other day that Paul Fox has the exact same mirrors
on his Rampside.

> Here are links to some pictures.
>

> http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/?action=view&cu
> rrent=mirrors.jpg
>
> http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/?action=view&cu
> rrent=mirrors1.jpg
>
> The mirrors actually work great, but I think they look kind of funny
sitting so far forward.  They function very well though, I think because
they are so far forward that the field of vison is improved over where the
factory mirrors were.  I've been thinking of trying to find genuine west
coat FC mirrors, but I'm afraid they'll be hard to see out of in my
windowless Corvan.