[FC] Turn signal adjustment

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Wed Apr 25 20:59:35 EDT 2012

Just passing this along...

I have been having lots of trouble with my turn signals going whacky
every once in a while. I would have left...but the turn signal lever
would go down and bounce right back to center. At the same time I would
not have right.

I realized that the famous dish that holds the mechanism beneath the
steering wheel on the column was loose. I tightened it like crazy with
that single set screw, but it would not stop moving. The shifting side
to side and up and down threw the cables out of alignment and more trouble.

So tonight I took the whole thing apart to see what I needed to do. I
noticed the cam arrangement and the set screw I had been tightening
without any luck and thought about how to make it tighten. I settled on
a small flat piece of brass the same width and depth of the cam. Placing
that small brass plate between the wedge of the cam and the cam channel
it acted like a shim. I was able to tighten the dish on perfectly well
and then I put everything back together.

All works as it should now. I am betting since this shim idea was so
simple it has been done before, but in case it hasn't, and in case it
helps someone fix those pesky turn signals, I thought I would let you
all know.

Thanks!  Ben