[FC] Rain gutters on A pillar what year?

chsadek at comcast.net chsadek at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 17:26:42 EST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: sgeast at interlog.com
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Cc: scg-list at corvair.org
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:12:56 PM
Subject: <VV> Re Greenbrer for sale now what year?

Further comments at the bottom:

> previously From: Joe Hennerfeind <hennerfeind_joe at yahoo.com>

> Found this in my searches today.? I emailed the ad since it doesn't
> give details or price.? They are asking $5000 and it looks like it
> might be worth it from the few photos they sent me.? Not my ad, just
> forwarding the
> info.http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3467441443.html

> previously From: Paul Fox <paulvair at yahoo.com>

> Group, Just looked the truck over. It's been sitting 8 years and
> doesn't run. The body is in fairly good shape except rust is
> starting to bubble up from repairs. There are patch panels in it but
> the body work was fairly good. Plus it has a luggage rack on it.?It
> has a manual choke so it is most likely a 61 sold as a 62 as was my
> Rampside. It's a PG trans.The engine appears to be correct for the
> truck except someone put a mag fan on it. (ZB code). It has some
> mild custom work done to the inside including what looks like a
> folding rear seat. The odometer shows 1600 some miles so most likely
> 101,600. He said the truck was in Canada then Iowa and now Indy.
> He's moving once again so they want to sell. Would be a nice cruiser
> with a little TLC. Just thought I'd pass this along.
> Paul Fox , Not looking to buy a Greenbrier.

> previously From: LonzoVair at aol.com

> Paul,
> It is a '62, because the '61s didn't have the rain gutter on the "A"
> pillar, and this one has it.
> Also, the '61 Greenbriers had a key lock mechanism on the side door, and
> this one doesn't.
> Later,
> Lonzo

> previously From: Vairtec Corporation <Vairtec at optonline.net>
>
> Lonzo, I could be quite wrong about this, but it has long been my
> understanding that the addition of the rain gutter was a mid-year
> 1961 change, and so while it's absence definitely identifies a
> vehicle as being a '61, it's presence does not automatically indicate
> a later year.  Anyone out there with ironclad knowledge on this point?
>
> --Bob

New Comment--------------------------
I've added this to the collection of information I have for the Stock
Corvair Group. Not being an expert of FCs I can't answer the question
but am also distributing this amoung the SCG mail list. Other sources
that might help answer the question are:
-Confirmation of the serial number (61 or 62 model year?) regardless
of the registration year the vehicle has presently and input from
other 61 & 62s with information on the build date and the A pillar
rain gutter.
-Sales literature
-Factory Change Orders Engineering or Production
-Information in the CPF
-other GM documentation

All help is appreciated

Stan East