[FC] Rear shocks...or beating a dead horse.

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 19:48:04 EST 2012

I see in the specifications in the back of the 61 Service manual that stock FC shocks were 1" bore and 5" stroke.  Factory heavy duty Chevrolet shocks were 1.375" bore and 5" stroke.  The 1/2 ton Dodge shocks are 1.5" bore and 5" stroke.

When I rebuilt my front suspension I used Monroe 34750 Dodge truck shocks as had been advised here before.  I knew you had to modify them slightly to fit them.  Although I must have been confused thinking that the hole in the lower control arm had to have a little bit ground out to work.  Once I had them in my hand I realized that the slots in the lower ears of the shocks had to be filed about 1/8" closer on each side.  They went together fine and I like the control they have on the ride.

I'd really like to run a heavy duty type of shock all around on my van.  I had bought 2 pairs of them thinking that I would be able to fit them in the rear too.  However, the hole inside the lower rear control arms will not allow the shock to be slipped in there.  It looks like if I grind the hole out to fit the larger shock body it will make the bolt mounting holes weak or even break through.

Has anyone successfully modified the A arm to use this shock on the rear?

If simple grinding doesn't work I am thinking of fabricating a 3/8" thick ring with tapped bolt holes that I can weld inside the lower control arm.  This should allow me to grind out the factory rectangular hole to fit the bigger shocks.

Is there another HD shock that fits the rear with minimal effort?

Thanks,
Andrew Sego