[FC] Brake Light Question

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 01:00:33 EDT 2012

See if the turn signals work in the rear.

If they do (and since they use the same filament in the 1157 bulb as the
brakes), it might be nothing more than an adjustment needed on the switch
for the brake lights.

If they don't, check the bulbs and/or the fuses.  While it COULD be the
switch, that seems least likely to me.

I was told at a red light (just today) that I had no left brake light
(includes turn signal) on my '65Monza.  Pulled over and took a look.
Twisted the (plastic socket) a couple of times to no avail.  Pulled it out
(down) and found the bulb and metal portion of the socket were still up
inside the light housing.  Fished those parts out and (no tools with me)
with little more than a very miniature version of a Swiss Army style pocket
knife, was able to repair and be on my way in five minutes.  How did I know
when it was fixed with no-one to step on the brake for me?  Put the left
turn signal on and if it flashes, the brake light works too!  Well, provided
the brake switch is working and adjusted properly.

BTW, I agree that if the "running" (we used to call them parking) lights
work in the back that would indicate there is no problem with grounding the
circuit.

Later, JR