[FC] early shifter repair

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Nov 27 15:35:27 EST 2012

The permanent way to correct the coupler slop is to drill out the
coupler to 3/8" and insert a 3/8" roll pin into the opening.   Then
using a cutoff wheel, section the center of the roll pin so that it just
fits over the transmission shift shaft.  Next take a 5/16 - grade 5 bolt
about - 2 inches long and turn it down in a lathe or drill press using a
flat file until it fits snugly into the transmission shift shaft. Mark
the end for the correct length and cut.  Lastly drill a hole at the end
for a Cotter pin.  There will be no movement at the coupler.  Since the
shaft, roll pin and bolt are made of hardened, high carbon steel there
will be almost no wear.  A little chain lube or graphite will help if it
is too stiff.   I modified my Rampside in 1984 and have never had a
problem since.  I do find I have to change the roll pin in the shifter
lever every 100,000 miles or so, as it seems to be a wear point.  The
two bushings also need to be changed at the time - one in the shifter
mount and the other in the shifter's connecting shaft
Jim Davis