[FC] start issues

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Tue Sep 25 12:25:49 EDT 2012

Hi Hugh.  It sounds like my '61 rampy if i do not run it for 3 weeks :-- the same thing happens. I assume that the gas in the carb bowls must evaporate while sitting on a warm engine. There are some short rubber pieces that connect the steel p[arts of the lines to other steel lines at  junction points as the line enters the engine com partment and again at the pont where the line rises to attach to the steel at the top of the gas tank. The rubber dies and cracks I assume and the suction is lost. I will drop gas down the carb if the engine has not run recently, same as you. My engine will eventualy start without it but i dfo not want to run the battery down to zero.  The permanent fix is to switch to an electric fuel pump I guess.tim W