[FC] electrical issues

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Wed Apr 10 21:46:05 EDT 2013

Having problems with electrical components on my '61 Rampy. She has the single -- speed wipers with no washer assy.  I noted that the dome light and the  wipers both stopped working at the same time. Looking at the fuse block I did not see anything amissI disconnected the battery and looked under the dash. There is a two gang flat plug that clips onto the wiper. The right - side wire is red and looked fine,  the other wire was bare copper. I looked closer and saw that the insulation was melted off, so I could not tell what color insulation was supposed to cover it. Unwrapping the tape over the thick wire  bundle I traced the bare wire back toward the wiper switch as far as I could from under the dash. I removed the instrument cluster, and noted that the two prong plug coming from the switch had a heavy  brown wire and a smaller gauge tan wire.  At this point I was called away to lawn work by my "vice president" and so made no more progress. When I get back to it, I hope to replace the damaged wiring and then remove the wiper motor and bench - test  its' circuitry. I do not see any rodent damage to any wires, and so far suspect that the motor is fried somehow.  I am looking through the assy manual for a wiring diagram but the diagram in my book only shows the more complex wiper/ washer type wiring. I will assume that the damaged wiper wiring is compromising my dome - light connection at the same time. I have not yet traced the dome light wires.Thx for any help or direction of to where to look in the manual.Tim Werner