[FC] windshield wiper mystery solved

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Sat Apr 20 13:03:46 EDT 2013

Windshield wiper mystery solvedI removed the instrument panel for the 6th time today and inspected the wiring. In turning the thing over I discovered that I had mis-identified the connection for the windshield wipers. It seems that from my perspective of sitting in the drivers seat i had been looking at the rear side of the gas guage with its two wires, not the back side of the wiper switch. Once I located the back side of the windshield wiper switch, I was able to connect the single- pole connector with it's red wire, and the wipers now function correctly. I am going to assume that the reason the original wire was melted was that "someone" may have left a wet car - wash towel on the windshield from a recent driveway - car - wash project and the next time the battery disconnect was turned "on" the wiper switch had been left in its "on" position, thus overheating the wires. Thanks to all you guys for the help, the first car show of 2013 is in 2 weeksTimW