[FC] Early 1961 Rampside Accelerator Cable

Jon Hobbs hobbsjon at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:16:36 EDT 2014

It looks like my 1961 Rampside is what has been called an "early 61". I
base this on the way the brake hoses brackets are situated and the
accelerator cable brackets (front, under cab). In rebuilding the Rampy, it
is clear that the PO had adapted (jerry-rigged!) a different accelerator
cable.  It is not functional, and I now have to think about going back to
stock or trying to adapt a later design. From what I can find in the manual
and Clark's diagrams, the early 61 cable stopped at the transmission, and
actuated a rod, which in turn was connected to the carb crossover shaft. My
1964 Greenbrier has a cable that goes all the way from under the cab to the
carb cross-shaft.

In researching my options, it looks like I can try to adapt a later FC
accelerator cable OR I can try to get the original setup to work. I have
never driven an early 1961, but I'm worried that the throttle might feel
sloppy with the combination of levers, cable and rod. I like the throttle
feel of my 1964 Greenbrier.

Can anyone advise me about the pros/cons of trying to reestablish the
original linkage vs. trying to adapt a later one?

Thank you in advance!

Jon