[FC] Long weekend of getting truck ready for Great Western Fanbelt Toss - TURN SIGNALS / BRAKE LIGHTS

Fred Adler fadler at genbio.com
Mon Oct 20 12:24:08 EDT 2014

Gentlemen,

Just in case any of you have ever have this problem,  this weekend I was working to square away as much as I can prior to driving to Palm Springs for the Fanbelt Toss.

I wired up the tachometer in the extra instrument cluster, I found where the passenger side front turn signal wiring had burned up inside the cockpit and fixed it.

NOW, I have a new one and I know it will be a long trace but hoped someone has a clue as to where this problem is hidden:

The tail lights:

They go no fine with the light switch.   The turn signals, they work fine in front..........................IN THE BACK, both sides always flash with left or right signal at the column.  ALSO, when you brake, all flashing stops in back and at the dash indicator.

Where the bloody hell is this thing wired wrong?  Color of wire to look at ?   The manual wiring diagram has a lot to be desired.   I see there is a "black" wire off the regulator (20 guage) which runs back to a coupling somewhere with 8 lugs on the diagram and off that two wires go off to each tail light (a lt blue and a purple).   There is also a pair that go off to the license lights.   When I pull the tail lights, each has a lt. blue and purple.

The guy who owned this before me added a lot of gauges which all work NOW. And used some bogus LED's on either side, which I pulled out but is there some clue to the short circuit?

Thanks if you have seen this one before.

Fred Adler
San Diego
1961 Rampside