[FC] Springs for "working" Rampside

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Tue May 12 23:09:25 EDT 2015

I just had to comment.

We (the wife and I) have driven 5,400 lb UltraVan for just over 180,000
miles in the last 15 years.  It is Corvair powered with Corvair
PowerGlide.  It is true than bone stock Corvair engines won't live for
long in an UltraVan if driven at Interstate speeds.  There are a
multitude of performance parts available that will allow the little 164
cuin engine to survive.  Proof is the 180 mile drive from Grand Junction
to the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70.  It is a 180 mile trip with an
elevation change from 4,600 ft to 11,150+ ft.   Average speed is about
45 mph (4,400 rpm in low range) so it takes about 4 hours in an
UltraVan.  The only time the gas petal is not on the floor is passing
through Vale. We have made that run four times in UltraVan #388.
By-the-way, all four times my wife was driving.

Yes, we were one of the two UltraVans at Tacoma and no, we did tow or
trailer it.

Jim Davis