[FC] Front wheel vibration issue -- sharing learnings

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Tue Jul 31 14:11:52 EDT 2018

Hi all,

With Craig Nicol's help, I fixed a vibration issue in the front end of my
'64 Rampside. There turned out to be two causes. First was a rim that had
excessive runout. Craig was able to provide a replacement of the correct
size and type. (See previous discussion here about FC rim changes.) The
second, and more surprising, cause was a tire that was significantly
out-of-round. I had not seen this before with a new tire. FYI, in case you
are chasing a similar issue on your rig... Oh, and, the vibration was only
significant in the 53 - 57 MPH range. Some sort of harmonic perhaps?

Hope everyone is having a great summer. It was a pleasure to see many FC
owners in Pittsburgh. Wish my truck had been there with me!

--Kent