[FC] differential gears

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation vairtec at optimum.net
Mon Mar 12 11:22:41 EDT 2018

Phil, you have received a number of responses recommending the 3.55
final drive.  Theses recommendations are correct.

There are reasons that Chevy switched from the 3.27 to the 3.89 somewhat
early in the FC's production life, and similarly, there are reasons that
Chevy switched to the 3.55 when the 164-cid engine was introduced.

My favorite of these reasons, for the switch from the 3.27 to the 3.89,
was expressed by Larry Claypool many years ago:  The 3.27 "made
mountains out of molehills."

Your engine as described will of course pull the 3.27 ratio better than
the original 145-cid engine did, but with your engine, the 3.55 will
best meet your needs and desires.

--Bob