[SCG] Welcome to the Stock Corvair Group - Activities Update

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sun Aug 14 11:50:52 EDT 2005

Hello to all new and prior members!  Welcome to the SCG, CORSA's newest
chapter.

First off, let me welcome all the new people who have joined in the past few
weeks, whether by attending our first annual meeting in Portland, by
e-mailing me directly, or by joining the SCG list directly.  I am thrilled
that the SCG has generated so much interest and I hope we can continue to
not only attract new members but also begin to utilize the new membership to
move our goals forward.

In this e-mail, I'd like to give all of you a brief update on SCG - where we
are now, and where we are heading, and then begin to get feedback form each
of you as to how you think you can help in the overall plan.

SCG was formed to fill a perceived need within CORSA - to address the issues
of researching and recording everything that we can about Stock Corvair and
Corvair powered vehicles, and to provide some means of recognizing and
encouraging those individuals interested in the process of maintaining,
preserving, researching, or restoring such vehicles.  You can access the SCG
Bylaws here.

To those ends, we have created this group to bring together those people
within CORSA (you must be a member of CORSA to be a member of SCG) to work
together to achieve our goals.  We have set up an ambitious program that
will eventually result in detailed manuals that will attempt to document all
aspects of the Stock Corvair vehicles.  You can view a sample here.  This
project will not be completed in a few short months, but will be an ongoing
process.  We will utilize a variety of methods to procure the information
and to archive and record it.

1)      The Annual Stock Corvair Event (ASCE) will be held at each CORSA
international convention (beginning in 2006 at Buffalo) and will showcase
Stock Corvairs in a setting apart from Concours.  Some cars will be brought
in for the express purpose of detailed study (research), others for
owner-requested assessments of "Stockness" (performed by all of us in
attendance at the ASCE), and the rest for display.  The details of this
event are still being worked out in committee (Stan East, Dave Ellis,  Bill
Hubbell, Kent Sullivan, and others).  The general concept of the ASCE is
defined in our operating policy, which you can download here.

2)        A comprehensive database is being developed and will be hosted on
the internet on servers provided by CORSA and by the gracious offer of Joe
West.  A Stock Research Committee (Stan East, Dave Ellis,  Bill Hubbell,
Kent Sullivan, Joe West, Marissa Andolino, Gary Dies, and other interested
parties) is currently working on the technical details of setting up the
database and working out the server details.

3)        A web page will be developed in the near future.  Marissa Andolino
and Joe West are currently working on this project.  We also expect to
utilize Joe's web site-based forums at www.virtualcorvairclub.com for data
entry and exchange.

4)        Currently, we do have the SCG mail-list set up, courtesy of CORSA.
All of you receiving this e-mail are currently subscribed to it.  The footer
at the end of this message gives you the information needed to manage your
account with this list.  Until the forums get set up, please use this list
to communicate messages within the group.

5)        We will publish a formal newsletter at least four times a year, as
defined by SCG Policy.  I am still looking for somebody to step forward to
assume the position of Newsletter Editor.  Currently, I am still wearing
that hat, along with my role as President.

6)        Mark Corbin is the SCG Secretary/Treasurer.  Please send him all
your pertinent information (Address, phone number, etc.) as he keeps the
membership records.  At this point in time we have no set dues, but we did
agree at our meeting in Portland to ask each member if they would be willing
to "donate" $5.00 to the club to help defray expenses.  If you do wish to
donate, please contact Mark for details.

7)        Finally, I would like each member to decide how he/she might be
able to help SCG and let us know!  At some point soon, we will be wanting
people to chair or serve on various subcommittees studying different years
and models of Corvair automobiles.

In conclusion, let me once again thank each of you for your interest in the
SCG and encourage you to continue to advance the cause of the Stock Corvair
automobile.  I and the other officers (Stan East, Vice-President; Mark
Corbin, Secretary/Treasurer; Rich Thompson, Historian) encourage your
feedback and participation as we strive to move this long-overdue project
forward.

Thank you,

Bill Hubbell

SCG President