<VV> Re: [SCG] 1964 Spyder questions

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 12:46:07 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/17/2006 11:10:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca writes:

Thanks, Bob. I've a few different coils with appropriate  date codes for my
car. Is there a way to test the different coils with a DMM  to tell which might
be hotter? Do you have examples of the two different '64  coils you could run
meter tests on to see? I'm also curious where the hotter  coil info is
documented.
best regards, Shaun

Hi Shaun,
The # 172 coil is the hot one. I know this because I ran a series of tests
to measure the spark output of various Corvair coils. I know of no simple means
 of measuring coils to determine this. For years i went around measuring
different coils with a DMM and got lots of different readings, but no pattern or
conclusive findings. The only thing that surfaced was that all stock Corvair
coils agreed with the Shop Manuals specs.

What settled this for me was that I borrowed Bob Ballew's little tester  that
has a 12v. battery motor driven cam turning at about 1K rpm operating a set
of points and ballast res. The coil to be tested is installed and the output
sent to a variable spark gap. I used a digital caliper to measure the max gap
for each coil being tested. We had a large set of coils to be tested.
This so far isn't documented anywhere except in the 2nd edition of my book,
Corvair Secrets, now available at $24 from me PP.
Regards,
Bob Helt