[SCG] 1964 Mysteries - One resolved?

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Fri Aug 3 13:05:55 EDT 2007

I have been analyzing some of the data I've collected from the first two
ASCEs and from body tags I have collected from the membership, and I
currently think I have enough information to answer at least one question we
have had about 1964 cars, and we are closing in on some others:

Sources:

1)       1964 Fisher Body Tag photo database:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/552937869fLgqrp (several new tags recently
added)

2)       1st ASCE (Buffalo) Photos:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/553305052nkBwHP

3)       2nd ASCE (Detroit) Photos:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/560121201jsrsyz

Mysteries:

1)       Dates of Fisher Body Tag Changes

a.       Type 1: Apparently last used on 10D (4th week of October, 1963)

                                                               i.
Recent addition of 10D tag courtesy of Dale Hewitt - Type 1 Tag

                                                             ii.      3 OE
tags in database - all Type 2 Tags

                                                            iii.      11A
tag (Carl Sagan's Spyder Convertible, courtesy of Dennis Dorogi) - Type 2
tag

b.      Type 2 Tags used from 0E through 03B

                                                               i.      3 OE
tags - all type 2 tags

                                                             ii.      3B Tag
Dave Ellis) - Type 2 tag

                                                            iii.      3C Tag
(my "Mr. Poop" sedan) - Type 3 tag

c.       Type 3 Tab used from 3C onward.

2)       Date of Seat belt option change from V to W - between 01B and 01D

a.       01B Tag - Option V

b.      01D Tag - Option  W

3)       Date of Deck Lid changes (3 styles)

a.       Type 1: Shorter rear weatherstrip, all rear drain holes open

                                                               i.      At
least as late as: 01B (photos attached from Dale Hewitt)

b.      Type 2: longer rear weatherstrip, all rear drain holes open

                                                               i.      At
least as early as: 03C (my "Mr.Poop" sedan)

c.       Type 3: longer rear weatherstrip, only two drain holes open

                                                               i.      At
least as early as: 04A (my "Alice" sedan)

                                                            ii.      1C to
03B - find transition from Type 1 to Type 2

                                                          iii.      03D -
find transition to Type 3.

4)       Date of Trunk Changes (3 styles from 63-64)

a.       Type 1: Typical 61-62 style: Screwed on vent in left rear corner,
plate in right rear corner

b.      Type 2: Transitional style: Screwed on vent left rear corner, solid
wall right rear corner

                                                               i.      07B
63-0927 WR 91885 evaluated at 1st ASCE in Buffalo

                                                             ii.      08A
64-0627 WR 36 photographed by Bill Hubbell at local show in 2005

                                                            iii.      View
both cars at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/484534024LbVDBd

c.       Type 3: 1964 style : Vents stamped into metal both rear corners

Bill Hubbell

1.