[SCG] tire pressure warning on '60 sun visors

chevrobilia at juno.com chevrobilia at juno.com
Sat Aug 4 03:52:48 EDT 2007

Hi Bill & All,
The visor sleeves have always interested me and I have several in my collection. One sleeve was used on each 1960 and 1961 Corvair car, on the driver's side only. #428's owner overdid it, maybe because they found a second one and wanted to be able to display both sides of the sleeve at once.
Regardless, all the cars only came with one sleeve, on the driver's side. The Warning Light side was supposed to be face down (visible to the driver) when the visor was up, and the Powerglide, Tire Pressure and Lube info side was supposed to be face up with the visor up.
All cars used the same sleeve, PG or stick, it didn't matter.
Yes, 500s only had a sun visor on the left side.
BUT, there were two different sleeves for 1960 that I'm aware of, or that there's any reference to in GM literature:
The first was P/N 6257366 dated 6-1-59 which is exactly the same on the PG/Pressure/Lube side as the second design, including tire pressures. The big difference is on the Warning Light side, where the majority of the sleeve's area is devoted to the early "big bang" pull-release Emergency Brake's operation. This is the sleeve that should have come with Kermit #428.
The second sleeve is P/N 3779773 dated 10-29-59. The e-brake info is gone completely on this one, replaced with much enlarged Warning Light graphics and text.
The '61s used a taller sleeve so it would also fit on the larger Lakewood visors. But more on those another time!
Dave

-- Wrsssatty at aol.com wrote:

The recent caveman thread included a link to pics of "Kermit", the second oldest known surviving Corvair.  A couple of the pics showed the paper/cardboard folder around the sun visors advising of warning lights, Power Glide operation, lubrication and tire pressures.  It's the tire pressure warnings that interest me.  In the pic, it was on the passenger side visor and coupled with Power Glide info.  My questions:   1. Didn't 500s come with only a driver's side visor (i.e. a passenger visor was an option)?  As such, where was the tire pressure visor warning, if any? 2.  Since the tire pressure visor warning in the pic was coupled with the Power Glide instructions, what if the car was equipped with a manual transmission rather than Power Glide?   ~Bill