[SCG] Standard stock black seat belts in colored interiors for 1966 Corvairs

66vairman at comcast.net 66vairman at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 21:15:36 EST 2007

To:  All members of the Stock Corvair Group

In November 2002, I purchased a 1966 Corsa 180 convertible, tropic turquoise exterior and turquoise interior.  It is currently being restored at The Corvair Ranch. At the time of purchase, it had stock, black Body by Fisher, plastic head seat belts in the turquoise interior.  This vehicle has no options other than the turbo engine as indicated on the body vin plate by 40 (group 4, 0 for turbo engine).  Then, upon checking a 1966 Monza coupe, tropic turquoise exterior with turquoise interior in The Corvair Ranch field, I noticed this vehicle also has stock black belts that appear to be undisturbed and original when the vehicle was new. (No option code Y on this vehicle either for deluxe belts),  Several months ago, I then found Jim Steinborn's website at www.steinborn.org.  Please view his website.  He is the second owner of a very low mileage 1966 Corvair Monza, artesian turquoise exterior with turquoise interior.  His vehicle photos, again, reflect black stock seat belts within th
e interior.  I spoke with Jim the other evening.  He said it is his firm opinion these belts would have been installed at the factory as well, since the bolts still had the original factory caulking on them.  His e-mail address is above under c/c if you need to reach him.  Could it be these stock black seat belts were only installed in turquoise interiors when the deluxe belt option was not selected or is it possible they may have been installed in other colored interiors as well?  All input regarding this issue is greatly appreciated.

Tom Rahochik  - e-mail is 66vairman at comcast.net