[SCG] Convertible Rear Speakers

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 22:12:36 EDT 2007

I happen to have the stereo system in my '67 convertable, removed intact from a car that had had the stereo tape deck from the factory (one of those 125 so equipped). The donor car was unfortunately a parts car at the time, and also donated the tele column w/wood wheel that is also in my convertable.

The speakers' cardboard housings were simply attached to the back of the seat with two screws. They DO play up thru the top when it's folded (and this car has the original top and rear window, so no zip-out), though the volume DOES have to be increased to the rear (via the front/rear fader control on the multiplex). It also will play up thru the boot.

One thing of note on ANY '66-up Corvair w/rear seat speaker or stereo system is that the rear speaker(s) are of a shallow construction, which is reflected in the speaker box or foundation shelf riser depth. I lnow of no aftermarket speaker with a shallow enough depth to be considered a replacement. A taller speaker will not fit into the convertable's cardboard housings, nor will it fit under the foundation riser. Either the aftermarket speaker will hit the metal bulkhead under the riser, or simply won't fit into the cardboard housing.

-Mark C