[SCG] 1960 wagon?

Larry Claypool vairshop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 16:57:47 EST 2008

comments below

> There's a guy posting at CorvairCenter who claims to have found a 1960
> Lakewood or perhaps a 1961 Lakewood with a '60 concave front section.  He
> also says that the "First State" registry has a '60 Lakewood registered.
> Is that possible?

sure. some states used to register cars in the  *calender* year they were
sold, not model of the  car. so, a 61 corvair sold in october 60 could be
registered as a 60, even though it is a 1961 model.

> He also wants to know if any early '61s were ever built with '60 concave
> front sections.

not by chevrolet for public sale.

> Comments?  I told him that I would relay anything I received from this
> list.

it is most probable the car is a 61 model that has a 1960 front panel
installed due to collision repair. it will of course fit the 61 car. the
shop that repaired it evidently had acess to a 60 panel, and the customer
either didn't care or didn't notice.

i've seen this done to other corvairs before.

> Steve O

lc