[SCG] relocated spare, was: <VV> [1969] Jacking Instructions

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 30 15:47:20 EDT 2008

It would be interesting to find out their VIN(s). If they were indeed
factory issue that way instead of an owner mod, and the VIN was late
production, then maybe the relocated spare was a running change instead of
a model year change. And THAT would be worth knowing. As far as I have
known to date, it was only the '69 140 converts that had the spare
relocated to the trunk, along with only the a/c, wagon, and '60 models.

I'm CC'ing the SCG on this, as it's a question that would best researched
by the group.

BTW, here's Dave Newell's thoughts on the subject:

"I've never seen anything about that situation, but can only speculate that
it was done in anticipation of some other change that never happened, OR
that there may have been an undesirable clearance problem in the engine
compartment with 68 140 convertibles. In any case, moving the spare to the
front is always a good idea for handling in any Vair. The 68 140 converts
may have proved a little too tail heavy with the extra 140 weight, the new
50 state mandatory 68-69 smog pump system, and the convert vibration
canisters. I think that's the most likely reason...to decrease rear weight
bias. Not just for handling's sake, but because of spring capacity."

So maybe a running change IS a possibility.....

-Mark