[SCG] Classic Industries repro parts

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 11:03:28 EST 2008

All,

I have recently received some rather interesting parts that Classic
Industries makes for Camaros that also fit Corvairs, and I am offering the
group my critque of them. I mention this because Clark's also sells a
couple of them. I am reviewing only parts supplied by Classic, and Clark's
parts may differ.

Woodgrain Steering Wheel kit, part #R6532, for '67-9 cars, cost $339.95.
This fits standard (not tele) column '67-9 Corvairs like a glove, and
contains all the items necessary to make it work. Clark's sells the wood
wheel only as item #C12118 for $260.90 but not the complete kit. They also
sell the horn button #C8065 for $57.50, while Classic sells the wood wheel
separately for $279.95 and the horn button for $34.95. What Clark's doesn't
sell is the hub and mounting kit, Classic prices of $39.95 and $24.95
respectively.

The parts quality is outstanding for the most part. I found that the hub
need some burr removal and painting, but is otherwise nice. There are some
"non-stock" problems with two other parts of the kit, though.

The woodgrain is a combination of two tones of brown and beige, swirled
like woodgrain would be. A stock wheel would be just one color, the dark
brown. But it is otherwise a very beautiful wheel. Clark's sumarizes it as
"grain is different (nicer)". Clark's also offers Classic's '69 rosewood
wheel and describes it as "(redder, more original)" to which I would
differ. Of course, '69's never had the woodgrain wheel available, but
regardless, rosewood is NOT the right color. Chocolate brown is. So neither
wheel is exactly correct in my opinion. BTW, Clark's also notes that the
wheels "do not have the stainless insert around the circumference". While
this would be applicable to an earlier wheel, the feature was NOT on the
'67-8 wood wheel.

The horn button in the kit was very beautiful, but I found two problems on
authenticity. The brush finish outer surface was obviously clear coated,
and while this gives it a more sparkling appearance, it is not the case
with an original button. Also, the center where it is painted flat black is
not wrinkle finish per the original item, but instead is a smooth finish.

The next item I received was the front speaker grills for a stereo system,
Classic #HC27 costing $39.95 a pair. This item is the one cosmetic item
that has previously not been able to be reproduced and made available for
the stereo speaker system for Corvairs that are using either the stereo
multiplex adapter or stereo tape player. While Clark's used to carry almost
all the other items necessary in this system, he has discontinued most of
the items.

The grills themselves are of the correct 4 x 6 speaker size and of the
correctly stamped shape. But I found two minor errors on them. One is that
the flanged edge is trimmed straight and even around the entire
circumference of the part, whereas the stock item varies slightly in
length, so as to make for a more flush fit to the varying door panel
height. I feel that only a close examination would reveal this, once
mounted to the door, however. The other error is that the perforated hole
pattern is laid out in squares, whereas the stock grill has alternating,
stagered rows of holes. This gives the part a look that reminds me of a
"there's something wrong with this, but I can't put my finger on it" type
of reaction. But otherwise, the grill would work great.

I feel that while both these items may be acceptable for replacement use, I
think we need to be wary of and on the lookout for them as far as stock
cars go.

-Mark

airvair at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.