[SCG] 60 corvair won in a contest

chevrobilia at juno.com chevrobilia at juno.com
Wed Sep 3 14:46:42 EDT 2008

Thanks. There was only one contest held for a Corvair prior to introduction that I know of. It didn't show a real Corvair in its ads, just a fantasy illustration.
I doubt very much if Chevrolet would have allowed her to receive her Corvair prior to the October 2, 1959 introduction date. Security was very tight and Chevy PR played a cat and mouse game with the press right up until that date. And after all, production had just begun on July 7th, a date that the CPF will be honoring at the Jacksonville convention (almost exactly 50 years to the day!) The cars were stored at the Proving Grounds up until late September, where they were subject to running fixes and changes.
Unless there's some kind of documentation showing when she took delivery of her Corvair, I think we can discount that part of the story.
Dave

-- Jerry Brown <air_cooled63 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say she received the 60 Vair in July of 59.

Jerry