[SCG] 60=62 corvair shifter

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Sun Feb 22 03:58:03 EST 2009

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the pic...that's a rare part indeed! The straight shifter started with the '60 Monza, in which the three-speed was of course the only manual transmission available. 61 Monzas with buckets and 3-speed continued to use the straight lever. GM Proving grounds photos are attached, showing the shifters for both years. These aren't prototype cars. They're ordinary production cars selected for testing. Note the lock nut under the 60 shifter knob, and that the 60 knob has the 3-speed shift pattern embossed on it while the '61 doesn't. I don't have a 62 3-speed bucket photo that I can think of right now.
I believe the reasoning for the straight 60 Monza shifter was that a middle front seat passenger would be an unlikely event. The only reason I can think of for continuing the 60 Monza shifter into 61 and 62 for bucket seat 3 speeds might have been to use up stock on this unusual application.
Dave

-- "The Vair Shop" <vairshop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
hi all
attached is a picture of a shifter out of a 61 monza with 3 speed trans and bucket seats. notice the lever is straight, not curved at the top.
my recollection is i only remember seeing 1 shifter like that, it was in a 62 monza coupe with 3 speed & buckets. my assembly manuals show a shifter lever used in 60-62 monzas with bucket seats and 3 speed trans , that differed from the lever in all other models. the books do not give an illustration of it though, only the 'standard' lever.
a 3 speed in a bucket seat car would be pretty rare, so i have put this question to the stock corvair group to see if there are other examples out there, perhaps confirming it's use as the assembly manuals suggest. .
regards
lc