[SCG] Restoring Choke Pulloff color

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 07:40:50 EDT 2009

I am trying to find a way to restore the color of Corvair carburetor choke
vacuum control assemblies (choke pulloffs) to stock appearance.  This would
be primarily for show, so the restoration does not necessarily have to hold
up to long-term use in operation.

The originals had a yellowish color which both fades and darkens over time
and mainly due to exposure to heat and fumes in the engine compartment.
Thus, most originals that have seen any use no longer appear "factory".

I am working on taking nice used ones apart (hard to do) cleaning up and
painting the plastic, then reassembling them. I have made a couple of test
runs, so I know this is at least possible, but the difficulty is finding the
correct paint, as all of the originals I have ever seen are so discolored
from years of use.

Therefore, I am looking for a lead on the EXACT color or ORIGINAL choke
pulloffs I can view (or purchase).

Thanks!

Bill Hubbell

President, Stock Corvair Group