[SCG] Factory Stock Corvair Entries and Stock Preservation Awardhistory in CORSA Concours 1997-2009

The Vair Shop vairshop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 3 11:17:56 EDT 2009

hi all
comments in text below

> All,
>
> My first point that I'd like to make it this. I've been concerned for some
> time about this situation, and of a larger associated issue of
> classification. Part of the reason, I believe, for a low turnout in stock
> cars in concours is the fact that classes have been made rather
> meaningless, with the now-current awards system of "gold/silver/bronze"
> rather than "first/second/third" as was the original system. There is now
> little incentive to pursue a "stock" classification, other than for the
> somewhat obscure "Preservation" award. I say "obscure" because there is
> not
> enough prestige attached to this award to highlight it sufficiently.

there is also a number of people who want to restore a car to stock,
regardless of where it places or scores- they just want it 'stock'

> As I see it, our choices are to either return to the original awards
> system, or modify the "classification" process to reflect the current
> system. Since the majority seem to prefer the current system, the latter
> should be pursued.

i agree we should not go backwards to a X in class system

 It's also possible that eliminating most classes would
> re-emphasize the remaining "stock" classes.

agreed

> I have previously sent to Duanne Luckow a detailed proposal to eliminate
> all classes except the one(s) that would be affected by the Preservation
> Award. After all, classification other than for these elegible classes for
> that award is really a study in futility, and a waste of time and effort.
> It's a usless effort that we could just as well do without, as long as we
> have the present awards system. We could then begin a program to emphasize
> stock cars.

the thought of 2 classes-stock and then all others (plus engineering class,
because those vehicles can't be readily equated to full corvair bodied and
powered cars) has been brought up before, and has some merit.

> A second point I would like to make is that while I would be the last to
> want modified cars to be allowed into stock classes, I also feel that we
> are possibly being a bit too strict with potential stock class cars.

really? in comparison to NCRS,porsche, and some other clubs, we are really
loose.
in classification, we don't do numbers matching checks other than obvious
stuff like engine code and *some* fisher body accessory codes. we don't look
at glass dates,  diff or trans numbers. we allow radial tires and
replacement batteries. we have been allowing hardware that looks generally
right but is reproduction stuff without the little factory markings. we have
not been very strick about powder coating. i could go on.
The
> original rules that I wrote were intended to disqualify cars that didn't
> "appear just as they could have left the factory" due to intentional and
> noticable modifications, but I never intended for the rules to be so
> strict
> as to all but eliminate the stock classes due to lack of "perfect"
> participants.

see above. if we had "perfect" standards, the list would be considerbly
shorter.

If you note the word "appear" in my quote above - the intent
> was to only comply with a cosmetic appearance, rather than a "perfect"
> representation of "pure stock".

right. that's why we have been allowing powder coat and clear coat/base coat
finishes, and coating of parts normally left bare as long as it *looks*
stock. if the end product does not look stock, it doesn't make the cut.

 While the latter is a great ideal to shoot
> for, the original intent was to allow the points system to penalize
> infractions to the "perfect" state on a stock class car that was less than
> "perfectly" factory stock.
>
> The question we should be asking ourselves is whether we are being too
> critical, and should we "cut some slack" with those who are not "letter
> perfect"?

whether or not we are too critical depends on whose standard you are judging
corsa by. are we too critical for some other single marque clubs? my opinion
is definitly not. too crital for aaca? i think we're on the money for them.
too crital for a local town car show? yes.
 so the qustion then goes to what standard do you want be? the best? middle
of the road? or entry level ?

I think that we could find some way to preserve our high
> standards, yet encourage entrants rather than frustrate them. Perhaps a
> points penalization system, rather than an outright disqualification?

it's not a disqualification from factory stock, they weren't in it to begin
with.  people who do not make factory stock did not do enough homework.
it is not easy to restore a car a car to factory stock. it costs way more
money, and takes much more time to do so, which is a big factor. and it
takes alot of reasearch, not just opening up clark's catalogue.
and it's much harder on a 'common' car like a corvair where many of the
these cars were simply transportation back when they new, and many
modifications were made in the course of regular service and repairs.  and
*especially*on a corvair because most service facilities did not like or
undestand these cars.

> Something to think about...

i agree

> -Mark Corbin