[SCG] : Making stock class

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 6 14:05:22 EDT 2009

All,

To clarify my stance, I am NOT advocating moving ANY event, as they have
been historically (at least of recent vintage) scheduled. What I am
proposing is to ADD an "informal" day to the schedule as a sort of
"pre-convention" day. It would be to allow early arrivals an extra day of
prep for obtaining a "stock" designation, all overseen by the Official
Classification Commitee and the SCG and working together. As I noted, it
would be for the purpose of (hopefully) fixing any problems that might hang
up an otherwise near-perfect stocker. Bill Hubbell's problem this year
comes to mind.

I realize that "major" problems probably wouldn't/couldn't be fixed, but
just the opportunity to calmly make a COMPLETE list would be of immense
help to some, I feel. One problem seems to be that cars are rejected,
fixed, only to be rejected a second time for something else. This added
time would be devoted to avoiding that, by providing the time to make a
COMPLETE list, then sticking to that list. Documentation would aid this.

It's all aimed at encouraging stock class wanna-be's. And that's the name
of the game.

-Mark

Mark,

I agree. From years (many) past, I have found that no matter what condition
your car is in, by the time it arrives at the convention, it needs to be
re-cleaned and detailed. There may be the last minute items that one forgot
at home or an item you suddenly realize is incorrect that need to be
remedied before classification.  Having to climb out of a vehicle and get
right into the Concours is rough sometimes. Having to frantically search
the vendors for a correct part can be too time consuming.  I like Mark's
idea of a kind of "get prepared" day to help people with information they
need. The idea behind that is not for the experienced competitor, but for
the folks who would like to compete, but lack the information of what it
takes to do so.

The SCG has started to become a recognized resource for the many folks out
there that are first or finally feeling the interest in FSR or Original
cars and competition.  My 40 years old son has started preaching "Stock"
to me and his other Corvair buddy. We are currently doing his buddies car.
It is in my rotisserie. My son talked his buddy out of putting a Fiero tilt
column in the car because it was not stock. Instead of air bags, we put the
stock springs back in the car. Needless to say, I was impressed. This is
all due to my son looking and listening at the past few conventions and
reading this forum.

I encourage the BOD to look at moving the Concours off of the first part of
the convention as Mark suggested.  Back in the early days of CORSA, the
Concours was the main event. We were like many other clubs where the
convention centered around that key event.  I was on the BOD in the
mid-late 70's and an awful lot of our meeting time had to do with Concours.
We have become a family type event now with something to do for everyone.
That is great as my wife looks forward to the convention every year. But,
in my opinion, we need to get people to understand that this event is the
cornerstone of most every car convention out there.

Thanks for listening to an old Corvair lover's ramblings. Keep up the good
work. I love the SCG group!

Bob Johnston
Minnesota
CORSA since '72

From: " airvair at earthlink.net " < airvair at earthlink.net >
Subject: [SCG] Making stock class, was: [Corsabod] Factory Stock
 Corvair Entries and StockPreservation Award history in CORSA Concours

I think that having the concours the first convention activity out of the
gate contributes to this problem. There is a rush to get cars classified,
so that the concours can happen on-schedule. Unfortunately, with the
current format, this is unavoidable.

Perhaps what we need is to make the convention's "first" day activity a
"how to get your car into Stock class" day. It would be part seminar, part
tech session, and part pre-classification session. The emphasis would be
not on finalizing classification, but rather, on throroughly going over
each car in an effort to find AND CORRECT any item(s) that would keep it
out of Stock class. It would also be an opportunity, after all efforts were
spent on bringing each car up to par, to "pre-qualify" each car, so that
those cars could skip the "formal" classification process. Just this
feature alone may encourage participation. Plus it may also serve as the
SCG Event day, for those who's cars aren't even going to be in the actual
concours. (The SCG meeting would be held later in the week and during the
day, so as to pick up any late-arrivals).

Any thoughts anyone?

-Mark