[SCG] Stock colors - Early interior

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue Jul 13 22:58:36 EDT 2010

Doug,

I am not as expert with the 1962 models as I am with the 1964s.  One thing I
found really helpful was an original Ditzler Automotive Finishes paint chip
chart for 1964 Chevrolets that I picked up at a swap meet.  Most people are
somewhat familiar with these and many examples can be found by doing a
Google search online.  However, the detailed interior paint information you
want is on the reverse side of the paint chip chart and this does not seem
to be found online, which is why you need to have an original chart.

Anyway, I KNOW we have discussed this at some point in the past, but I don't
remember where I put the information (see, this is WHY we need to get the
SCG database software working!!!), so I am going to forward this to the SCG
list and see if we can get your answers that way.

My gut feeling is to trust what your car is telling you, especially if you
are sure it has not been molested.  Clark's tries very hard to get things
right, but he also has a bottom line, so some of his interior products are
compromised.  I know for a fact that most of the kick panel (and other
interior cardboard) colors are only approximations.  I ended up painting my
cardboard panels with the same interior paint I used elsewhere (except the
darker dash areas).  However, I do NOT see a specific indication given for
the paint of the cardboards anywhere on the Ditzler chart.

Bill

Interior Paint Code information on Fisher Body Tag

The 1962-63 Corvairs have an extra digit on the trim or paint section of the
tag. WRN has the extra digit for interior paint on the Paint section. Ex.
922-7 = Red with black interior paint. (2= blue, 3= aqua,4= fawn,5= red,7=
black,8= saddle (63 only), 9= gold (62 only), R = White/Red (63 only) .
Oakland cars have the code on the trim line.