[SCG] eBay Motors (item 230449142879 end time Mar-2

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 23:59:02 EDT 2010

  The one big thing that I did notice was in the engine compartment.  If you
look closely at the area just to the outside of where the rear lid hinges
are, you should see the plastic rectangular clean out cover.  On
convertibles of this era, this is an area that is prone to rust.  The simple
fix is to just patch over it, and brush some seam sealer on top of the
patch.  This is the first place that I look when a car is represented as
being rust free.  The reason that it is never properly fixed is that it is
an almost impossible location to work unless you remove the engine.  On the
other side of this factory clean out hole is a baffle that keeps the road
debris from getting to the top of the quarter panel.  Problem is that it is
open in the front and being horizontal, it holds a lot of debris that will
eventually rust out the baffle and the inside corner of the engine
compartment.  So much for this being a rust free car as claimed!!!
I doubt that many Corvair owners ever realized what that cover was installed
for at the factory.  I removed mine when I bought my 1964 back in 1982, only
out of curiosity.  I found that it was packed with fine Georgia silt.  I
cleaned it well and did my best to treat the metal so it wouldn't rust, and
it is still solid till this day..
Paul in CT