[SCG] Welded Deck Lid Supports - Last Week of April, 1963

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Mon May 3 11:48:10 EDT 2010

We noticed something strange at the Virginia Vair Fair this past weekend. -
photos attached.

We had two 1963 Monza Convertibles built the same week in April 1964 (Build
Date 04E) and BOTH had the bottom part of the Deck Lid support welded to the
body.  Neither one had holes in the deck lid support for the bolts that
should have been there.  I have never noticed anything like this before, and
I initially thought it was an owner-modification, but the close proximity of
build date and body numbers on the cars leaves me to wonder if they did,
indeed, come this way from the factory.  Has anybody else ever seen this?

It would help to have a bigger survey.  I only have these two cars and none
other in my pathetically incomplete Corvair database to compare.  Both cars
were built at Willow Run with Body/Serial Numbers very close to each other
(28834/256204 and 28854/255784 respectively).

Incidentally, these two cars illustrate how it is possible for the body
numbers and serial numbers to get out of sequence, as you will note the car
with the smaller body number has the larger serial number - possibly because
the first car came equipped with factory A/C, which might have held it up on
the line, or perhaps for some other reason.

Car #1: 30967W256204

Owner: Douglas Jones

04E

STYLE 63-0967  BODY WR 28834