[SCG] Welded Deck Lid Supports - Last Week of April, 1963

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 17:56:59 EDT 2010

I just went to the eBay auction and would like to comment about this car.
Please forgive me if this has been discussed and I missed the discussion
since I wasn't aware of this vehicle before...  After looking at the engine
compartment I find no evidence of there ever having been a manual choke
assembly going through the firewall, which will bring me to my next point
that I believe that this is actually a 1963 or even possibly a 1964
production car.   The serial number is attached with screws, and as many of
us are aware of, this might be because the original tag fell off or was
taken off during a repaint and lost.  Not uncommon to take a serial number
tag from a junk car and put it on with screws.  Second thing that I noticed
is that it has 1962 taillights.  The holes in the front panel are identical
for the 1961, 1963, and 1964 front grille bars. so assuming this were a true
1961, where are the choke cable holes.  If this were a true 1962, then the
grille holes would have a different placement.  I have ruled out the 1961
because of the lack of the choke cable.  Now, it leaves 1963 & 1964. The
serial number prefix is  10927, which will make this a Monza 2 door coupe,
since the convertible number is 967, which proves that the serial number is
from another car.  It is my opinion that this car most likely is a "hybrid"
of parts from many different years.  Only removing the front cross member
will disclose the true identity by reading the stamped serial number into
the front frame member.  If I had to guess, I would believe that the chassis
is a 1963 based on some other smaller items that I see.
Paul in CT