[SCG] Fwd: Need to update GM factory info on Wikipedia

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 13:42:30 EDT 2011

____________________________________
 From: Wrsssatty at aol.com
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
CC:  Chevrobilia at yahoo.com
Sent: 7/15/2011 12:01:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time
Subj: Need to update GM factory info on Wikipedia

On Wikipedia recently I came across an admittedly incomplete listing of
General Motors factories, both current and previous, used to manufacture and
assemble automobiles.  I believe that the list needs updating by someone
knowledgeable, both in use of Wikipedia and in GM Corvair factory  history.
Currently the list shows Corvairs having been assembled at the  Van Nuys, CA
assembly plant and the Willow Run plant in Ypsilanti, MI.   The listing
includes the Oshawa, ON plant but does not mention that Corvairs  were built
there.  Also, if memory serves me correctly, I believe  Corvairs were assembled
at a plant in or around St. Louis, MO.  The  Wikipedia listing shows a "St.
Louis Truck Assembly" plant in St. Louis,  MO.  I don't know if that was
once a Corvair assembly plant but, if so,  someone in the know needs to add
the Corvair information.  Also, the  Antwerp, Belgium plant is listed but
Corvairs are not mentioned.   Again, if memory serves me correctly, I believe
that Corvairs were assembled  there on what, I think, was a CKD basis which,
again, if I recall correctly,  stands for Completely Knocked Down.  I know
just enough to get myself in  trouble so, I hope that someone on VV who is
more knowledgeable will add the  pertinent Corvair information to the Wikipedia
listing.

Thanks!

~Bill Stanley
NJ