[SCG] Orig. '63 near Hollister, CA

hank kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Feb 3 08:36:22 EST 2014

I was lightly chastised by my friend John Miller for my comment on this on
FB.

I saw the pictures of the car.  It's simply in too immaculate a condition to
give it to a kid.

In my law enforcement work in the 90's up to the present day, I've seen the
results of giving kids spiffy cars in new or "Like New" condition like this
Corvair.

I also don't know this young girl nor her family.  What I do know is all too
routine,.

Kids (myself included when I was one) have an incredible feeling of
independence when they get a car of their own.  That's a good thing.

however there are many distractions for young drivers, some of which were
not present in our day, worst one being the damnable CELL PHONE.  Add to
that friends in the car, loud music from the sound system, and the general
excitement of being on the road and you have a cauldron of boiling potential
disaster.

Just in my little, sparsely populated county in North Carolina, We are
averaging one fatality a year in drivers under age 21, normally coming
during the drive home from school.  The number of wrecks are much higher.
For reasons known only to the Almighty, a lot of these wealthy parents will
buy their pride and joy a NEW ford mustang or a BMW.  And they promptly wrap
them around trees or ram them into other vehicles. Our last 2 fatalities
were both girls.

About a month ago, a 17 year old girl (I know her and her family well as
they go to my church) wrecked her mother's van beyond repair. REACHING DOWN
ON THE FLOOR TO PICK UP HER CELL PHONE, TAKING HER EYES OFF THE ROAD, and
slamming into a truck stopped in front of her. Luckily she was not harmed.
I used to give her hell about her phone in catechism because as the Priest
would be teaching, she would be texting.  She works as a cashier in a
grocery near me, and when I heard, I saw her and told her I was very happy
she was not hurt.  I then gave her hell because she could have DIED for her
CELL PHONE.  She said "I knew that was coming from you Mr. Hank----and
you're right".

And it seems to me that most children these days are not very concerned
about what happens to ANY of their possessions.  Individual mileage may
vary, but with 2 kids and 3 grandkids I see it in my own, plus the youth
group in my parish.

A low mileage original Corvair in that condition being given to a child to
drive is ludicrous.  I bet John miller 25 bucks she wrecks it, and we'll
NEVER hear about it when she does.   The thought of giving that car to a kid
is madness.