[V8Vairs] DEI Car Show

Rick & Janet Norris v8vairs@corvair.org
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:08:06 -0400

What a great weekend!

The monthly car show in the Chevrolet Legacy series held at Dale Earnhardt
Inc. ,better know as the "Garagemahall" was well represented with five
Corvairs entered and several folks came out to see the show in Corvairs.
Besides yours truly with my 66 Monza V8 Vair there was Marvin Jamison with his
64 Spyder convertible, Richard Jenkins with his Greenbrier van, Bill Stewart
with his 65 Monza convertible and Dan Giannotti with his 65 Turbo coupe. As
usual our cars were popular and elicited the usual comments. The judges
certainly liked the V8 Vair as none of them had ever seen one. Out of the
possible 100 cars that could have been competed there was only 28 total
entrants but that worked to our advantage as we got to see some special areas
of the DEI operation on our personal tour. Since it was a race week end there
wasn't much activity which made it seem more personal than it was.
The main guest and trophy presenter was none other than John Moss from GM. He
is the guy in charge of all the factory hot rods from GM and he had some with
him. How about an Impala SS with a 510 cubic inch engine? Or maybe another hot
rod Impala SS with a six speed manual tranny? These beauties were displayed
alongside some of Dale Sr.'s personal collector cars.
I think the one place we commented the most on was lunch! It was served in the
Trophy Room which is as nice or better than any upscale restaurant I've ever
seen. The food was absolutely the best! How about marinated grilled London
broil! Chicken supreme that melted in your mouth! I could go on and on!
Also there was lots and lots of pictures taken by hired photographers and I
took a few myself which will be in an article to appear in an upcoming
Communiqui.
Did I mention the gorgeous weather? Unseasonably cool with plenty of
sunshine.
Winners were, 1st. place Marvin Jamison in Restored class with his 64 Spyder
convertible and 1st. runner up was Bill Stewart in his 65 Monza convertible.
In the Modified class the 3rd. runner up was Richard Jenkins in his
Greenbrier, 2nd runner up was Dan Giannotti in his 65 Corsa Turbo and 1st.
place was Rick Norris in the V8 Vair.
This means that me and Marvin are invited back for the big show as class
winners!

Rick Norris