[V8Vairs] Engine Covers

Rick & Janet Norris v8vairs@corvair.org
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:35:00 -0400

Guys,
Here's an important item to keep in mind. If air can get through so can
sound. In other words, if it's pretty well air tight then it's sound tight
as well. Body seam sealer in a calking gun style tube works wonders.

Rick Norris

> On my first Kelmark I used an original fiberglass cover.  All one piece,
hard to get in and out and it didnt fit well around the edges.  I covered
it with Dynamat and carpeting - it still let in a lot of noise.  Fiberglass
sure burns

> On the second Kelmark, I used aluminum panels covered with Dynamat on both
sides and carpet glued to the outside.  A WHOLE lot quieter, and with one
side less than two inches from a header tube, only gets warm to the touch
after a thirty minute drive.  The panels are much easier to disassemble.  I
am happy with the way it turned out.  (Havent tried the fire rating)

> Steve Semon
> Steve@Centralcomm.net

> From: "Rick & Janet Norris" <rickjanet@charter.net>
> Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:09:19 -0400
>
> >Ryan,
> >My first thought was to make my engine cover out of fiberglass by first
> >making it out of cardboard, then glassing over it as a form. I too have
> >worked with glass and decided it was too messy so I went with building
one
> >in place out of aluminum. I wanted it to have a lid for quick access for
> >service of cruise in's and a firewall that can be removed without much
fuss
> >for greater engine access and removal. You would be surprised how many
times
> >you will need both. I used Dyna-mat for sound deadening and double sided
Hot

http://www.corvair.org/