[V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings...

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:03:14 -0700

A friend of mine has photos of my project on his website.  Google
'slownrusty' which will lead you to his Picturetrail address.  I'm under
the Friend's Rides section.  The car is looking a bit different since the
posted photos were shot.  Have made some progress on exterior body work.
If you want, direct links are as follows:

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242044.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242048.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242051.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242053.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242204.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242084.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242190.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242065.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242063.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242060.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242079.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242074.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242071.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/60242057.jpg

The Cad has been massaged heavily, and should produce about 500 HP.  I
expect it to be brutal, but haven't been able to run it yet.  Shouldn't be
too long.  The engine sits in the car backwards, (serpentine belt to the
rear) and the transmission is a modified Eldorado THM-425.  I removed the
differential for the front drive, and installed a tailshaft adapter.  I'm
using a custom built solid rear end which uses a Ford 8.8 inch diff which
was originally intended for high-performance Jeep front axle applications.
 By remounting the diff in the normal position, I wind up with a reverse
rotation live rear good for up to 700 HP and with the torque applied on
the drive side of the gear teeth.  The rear wheel well were widened to
accommodate 12" of rubber.  I suspect that I'll need it.  Amazingly, the
500/425 drivetrain is only 48" from the front of the transmission chain
case to the axle centerline.  The offset pinion is actually under the
alternator as installed.

I divided the interior of the car into front and rear halves by
constructing a tubular steel bulkhead between me and the engine.  This is
plated with steel sheet, and is now the firewall.  Since this structural
bulkhead supports the transmission, and is welded across the car body, is
provides a tremendous increase in stiffness.  A tubular, trussed
structural console ties the bulkhead all the way up to the front axle. The
drivetrain and the bulkhead did eat into drivers space, so I moved the
floor 8 inches forward for more leg room, and put a fuel cell in the
former engine compartment.  The ergonomics of this should work out pretty
well.  The new pedals will be on the same plane as the remnants of the
floor/wheel well, and I'll be shortening the steering column slightly to
get a comfortable position.

The entire underside of the car was rusted out, as were the fender
bottoms.  The floor is now constructed of steel tubing and sheet.  Just
recently I had the entire underside coated and wheel wells coated  with
pickup-bed liner.  Now have primer on all interior surfaces after bondo
smoothing the welds and grinds.  Mounting brackets for the three radiators
have been installed, as have structural braces for the five-link
attachments. Inside the rear arch of the integral frame rails, I doubled
the rails with 1/4" plate to provide greater strength and for welding on
suspension mounts and engine attachments.   Engine goes in the car again
this weekend so I can start mocking up the headers and the engine
cover/air cleaner.  Header construction will be very interesting, as Arte
Johnson usta say.  No room to the rear past the axle assembly, so will
probably have to run the collectors forward and put the muffler(s) under
the front seats, exhausting in front of the rear wheels.

Body mods include elimination of the rear outlet grille, shaved drip
rails, side scoops, flush S-10 door handles, no trunk key, frenched
headlight openings using gigantic Mack truck headlights, filled gas door,
and so on.  The former engine cooling inlet is now reserved for the carb
fresh air supply.  Unfortunately, my ambition exceeds my talent, so the
work isn't all that smooth, but it will be with time and practice. I'm a
first-timer at this, and live a few miles south of Colorado Springs.  I'd
welcome more experienced builders stopping by to point out my mistakes.

Doug Evans
'67 Coupe with 500 Cad instead of a back seat.
(719) 372-6502

GnKHOFFMAN
Sent by: v8vairs-admin@corvair.org
12/28/2004 06:17 PM
Please respond to
v8vairs@corvair.org

v8vairs@corvair.org
cc

Subject
Re: [V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings...

Dave:

You are way ahead of me ...... but PLEASE post some photos;  that 500
cu.in.
engine has to be mean!  Describe for us (again) the tranny/differential
set
up, and how much leg (stomach) room you have.

Gary Hoffman