[V8Vairs] back issue articles & other things

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:28:55 -0600

I have taken a different approach to installation of a TH425 into my
Corvair.  I have removed the differential housing from the end of the
transmission, and constructed a bearing support plate and tailshaft
adapter.  I do like the idea of lots of power and torque, but didn't like
the idea of having the entire engine/transmission assembly sitting right
over the rear axle centerline with the resultant notoriously bad handling.

By placing the engine/transmission assembly in the car backwards, I now
have a very short and compact drivetrain assembly with a driveshaft
pointing back at the rear axle.  I have scrapped the Corvair rear and
suspension in favor of custom-built solid rear end with an offset pinion.
I'm using a five link suspension with coil-overs, and the entire drive
train is 48 inches from the centerline of the rear axle to the (now) front
of the TH425 chaincase.  This should result in something pretty close to
an ideal 40/60 weight distribution for the car.

Doug Evans
'67 Coupe with Cadillac 500 in backseat

Thomas Robert R Civ OC-ALC/MAEAPF <Robert.Thomas@tinker.af.mil>
Sent by: v8vairs-admin@corvair.org