[V8Vairs] My first post ever...

SadekCH at NSWC.NAVY.MIL SadekCH at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri Aug 12 10:13:02 EDT 2005

By New School, I mean something other than the "old school" Crown mid engine
Chevy V8 running thru the front of a Saginaw and thru the diff. Using the
stock diff allows stock rear suspension which is pretty good.  Very little
fabrication required.

New school, in my mind transcends from a mid engine V6 (more room) or modern
Non-Chev small block like a Northstar (wide V, new sub-frame, new
bellhousing, and needs computer control) coupled with an Audi transaxle or
Porsche 915/930/G50 transaxle-this gets the engine back further, closer to
the axle center-line, which, of course, gives more leg room and allows for a
decent firewall (to save you're a**).

Using an entire platform cut to fit within the "frame rails-rockers" of a
Corvair allows a front engine or mid-0engine like a Subaru-someone is doing
one-looks neat-or anything else you want to stick under a Corvair body.
I was going to do the NS V8 Mid-engine with a 915 Porsche transaxle, but am
thinking of an auto that allows shifting, such as a Tiptronic or Audi and
then making it a paddle shift.

Finally, an absolute blast would be the newest baddest Subaru with a decent
body on it, like a LM coupe body.  Anyone know where I can get the latest
totaled Soobie?

Chuck S