[V8Vairs] Temps-Oil-- Cooling

Sadek, Charles H CIV B-DeptStaff charles.sadek at navy.mil
Wed Dec 7 14:01:12 EST 2005

IMHO---with all the caveats...

Normally, the thermostat is closed and doesn't permit the water from the water pump which is pushing water around the engine, to go to the radiator.  When it opens, top hose gets hot and you can tell. Depending on where temp pick up is on yours, you should be able to see the change. Sounds like the thermostat is open, but you need to look at how you routed everything. Sometimes on V8 cars, there is air in the system, someone has done things that allow water to go a way it shouldn't, etc.

Desired Temp of water depends on optimum operation of engine - what temp does it do its best at?  165-195°F..somewhere in there. Older engines cooler-say 165-175-even 185°F.  Newer engines are optimized to run hotter.

Oil: above boiling to get contaminants and water out, below 230-240°F. My best guess is 210-230°F optimum. Better oil means better temps. Cheap oil..keep it a little cooler and change it. Good synthetic, look at their literature but say 220-230°F is optimum?

Chuck S