[V8Vairs] Crown V8 input shaft

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Dec 20 17:19:27 EST 2005

> Thank you Ken for responding and for asking the question. It is the main
> shaft that is damaged not the input shaft. Any ideas on how to fix or  replace?

My mainshaft from Crown did not last very long and also had bad galling
where the needle bearings ran. Put shaft in V blocks and was bent a
little. Ted Trevor said it was straight when it left Crown but thermal
stresses might have caused it to bend. In my case, in addition to the
shaft being out a little, the bellhousing was not centered. You MUST
check this and fix it to have any chance of a new or repaired shaft
lasting. I fixed mine by metal spraying a hard layer of new metal and
having it reground. After I realigned the bellhousing, the car ran for 10
more years without any trouble.

regards,

frank parker
northstar vair