[V8Vairs] Frame under

AKidd v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:17:35 -0500

I used the whole frame, floorboard & firewall from a G-body.  (78-88 monte
carlo, grand prix, malibu, cutlass etc) I also boxed the frame rails for
added stiffness. The V8 bellhousing needs to reside where the gas tank is so
rust saved me some work.  As I mentioned in a previous post the body sits on
the frame rail in the groove for the door sill.  There is about .25" of
frame showing below the rocker of the vair.  I run 27.5" tall tires on 16"
rims which are about 4 inches higher than stock to begin with.  With the
right choice of springs, wheels & tires you can make the car sit lower than
a stock vair.  Heres a side pic from KY www.corsaontario.com/corvair201.jpg
As you can see the car is real high in the back.  I have since remedied that
with a different set of springs with one coil removed.  If someone can get
me the stock measurement to the top of the rear fender I will measure mine
and post it back here.

-----Original Message-----
From: v8vairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:v8vairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf
Of Sadek Charles H DLVA
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:06 AM
To: 'v8vairs@corvair.org'
Subject: RE: [V8Vairs] Re: flak!

Al,
	I presume, that the way to go, if doing a front engine (V8, V6)
conversion, is to mount the body to an existing V8 frame.  Doesn't that
raise the car up a lot? Using the V8 firewall and tunnel, etc makes sense,
so you don't have to fabricate all of that stuff.  Is it that much harder to
graft on just the front sub-frame section like a Nova or Camaro? Or is that
what you mean by "frame".  So you do the same in the back for the rear axle?

Chuck S
YS 73 & GT3 89
68 Cpe project w/ Chevelle disks F and Seville disks R, unassembled
Northstar on pass floor waiting new sub-frame for mid-engine mount.  And
waiting for transmission-not using my Crown conversion-for sale BTW.