[V8Vairs] Ultra Series Corvair Deep Dimple Lifters - Endorsment(s) , ENOUGH Etc.

David C. Herrin III v8vairs@corvair.org
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:10:01 -0800

Gentlemen,
ENOUGH ! Stop wasting the bandwidth !
If you want a free Product Bulletin - simply request one via e mail
attachment.
This thread sounds exactly like the SOS
 - the deceit proffered as fact  - about most all of our properly engineered
products
i.e.  US Mech. Fuel Pumps, US Street Kevlar Brake Shoes, etc. etc. - from the
same  parties.

How many endorsements do I have to post ?

What are our engineering specifications =  The modern equivalent to GM
Originals.
Who is my manufacturer  ?  =  one of my OEM Original Equipment Manufacturers.
Why an OEM would make them only for me ? = Long term - good relationships +35
years with OE & OEM
Remember my mechanical fuel pump -  the altered misused & then mis accused -
on aircraft engine ?
= GM @ +$1m & Dana @+$.5m - they defended themselves and me ... Why ?

The Source = Quality = We do not make shoddy "reproductions" -  from Third
World suppliers
    like ... ... insert party of your choice.

Why I do I offer these @ $ 59.95 set (12) ? -  to induce you to try them ...
David

Dave, you can put this one out there for others to read.
I vote for the source lifters also.  I have a show car, which is a Spyder, and
there is NEVER any lifter noise.  The engine was rebuilt in 1993 with all
source stuff in it.   And when the car sits over the winter and I start
it up, it also does not make any lifter noise, and I use regular oil, and this
is after sitting for 5 months.
Roger Fedor

This is an unsolicited testimonial.  I will only use lifters from The Source
in my and my customer's engines.  They perform flawlessly.  I've removed many
sets of lifters from engines that had been rebuilt using other than Source
lifters because they were consistently noisey, or would not pump up.  I pulled
a Source lifter apart once and their quality is evident.  They are the only
one I've found that has a true check ball.  All the others use a plate-type.
Bob in Portland

David:  I find it so hard to believe that Lon continues to make the same
arguments.  I've got 2 different lifters here that I pulled out of engines
where the customers said they were Lon's lifters, and they were shallow, with
a flat check valve.  Just looking at the overall quality of them made them
suspect.  I've heard the same manufacturing issues from several main line
vendors as Lon makes.  I won't argue with him about that...it may be true.
All I know is, how/whoever you do it, yours are better.  I've had them all
apart...there is a difference!

>From Fastvair
<snip> I don't have anything invested in anyones' lifters.    Several years
ago I took several lifters apart. All of the  TRW or what ever brand they are
packaged as had a light piddle valve and a restricted range of adjustment;
indicated by the narrow channel on the internal barrel which aligns with the
external oiling hole.
   The Source lifters ( whatever they are) had a heavier piddle valve ( more
oiling on each stroke) and a much wider channel around the internal barrel
yeilding more adjustment range. The original Corvair lifters are built better
than any of the replacements --but so what -- you can't get them.

    The lifters designed for small block Chevys (TRW, etc, etc.) have
purposely restricted oil production. The pushrod is above the rocker arm. If
one drop of oil comes out of the pushrod it goes to the rocker ball.
   All of this only matters if you have a situation requiring the extra oil
and adjustment range--- I do.
    This does not make me an expert, but I did try to check it out. There are
likely many more variables involved.
    Warren

> YES ! our Lifters provide the proper oiling - correct metering.
David,
I sent this to you so you can see the questions people on VV are asking. Why
not respond to VV and tell the world. You are just preaching to the choir by
telling me!!!!
Give VV some data and some facts

You are missing a great opportunity to tell VV about your great lifters. Give
them the details and data. Tell how unique they are. But do it logically and
informationally. Don't let Lon get away with his statements that all lifters
are the same (or something like that)

Okay the easiest ( and calmest ; ) )for me  - Product Bulletin Excerpt:

Our OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer uses a special cast iron material
for durability, and for full compatibility with the Corvair camshafts
metallurgy. The OD outside diameter of our Hydraulic Lifter is ground to
exacting tolerances, and the base of our Lifter is ground with a radius to
insure the lifter rotates in operation. Our modern version of the GM
Original: 1) Same Height as the GM Originals. 2) Unique "Deep Dimple" - same
Push Rod Pocket Depth as the original GM. 3) Disc Type Metering "Piddle"
Valve - increased upper cylinder - valve train oiling.* 4) Full Adjustment
Range on inner plunger circular groove**. 5) Original type Ball Check Bottom
Valve- for quiet operation of the Corvair engines valve train components. 6)
Made in the USA.

"Chevrolet Part No. 3799644 is recommended for your stock or reworked
engine. This lifter, when pre loaded by turning the adjustment nut in1/8 to
1/4 turn from clatter will operate faultlessly beyond 7,000 rpm." How to Hot
Rod Corvair Engines by Bill Fisher HP Books -1969.

Part # US HT7181 - features a "Deep Dimple" Push Rod Pocket. This OE
Original Equipment design feature - keeps the push rod centered in the body
of the lifter, it will not dis-lodge the retainer, or allow the push rod to
walk out of place.A unique "long stroke" type hydraulic lifter with a full
range of adjustment and the proper upper cylinder - valve train lubrication
is provided.

They are available directly from the source...
not from ...