[V8Vairs] RE: lifters

Thomas Robert R Civ OC-ALC/MAEAPF v8vairs@corvair.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:48:47 -0600

 I know this is about V-8s but the shrapnel flying around in FastVairs about
lifters makes me reluctant to comment. One guy says there are only 2-3
lifter manufacturers.  I found 11 before I got tired of looking, and those
don't include manufacturers that make lifters exclusively for large diesel,
motorcycle, stationary, and aircraft engines, or companies in India.

Hylift-Johnson
Eaton
Cosmo Industrial (Taiwan)
Melling
Rhoads
Mianyang Fulin (China)
Delphi (rollers only I think)
Stanadyne
C.A.T.
Elgin (lists Corvair-specific parts)
Sealed Power/TRW (they may not actually manufacture lifters)

I wouldn't recommend buying lifters from these sources, because, from
looking at the application charts, they tend to lump all Chevy 6-cylinder
engines together. Also, David's real Corvair lifters don't cost much more
than generic aftermarket replacements (and less than one type the right
coast supplier sells).

I tell you what, though, the last few weeks of FastVairs and V-8 Vairs has
been interesting. I'm learning a lot.

A little V-8 content. Does anyone have any information or experience with
sidewinder engine installations in mid-engine Corvairs?  KelMark had a real
complex and expensive kit but that was before Fieros and the spate of FWD
vehicles.

Bob Thomas
68Monza
65SprintRagtop