[V8Vairs] Lengthened Wheel Base Corvairs

WytchMedea at wmconnect.com WytchMedea at wmconnect.com
Mon Jun 6 20:52:15 EDT 2005

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with setting the transaxle
more rearward and creating an offset in the axle center line?   Pushing
everything to the rear about one inch but leaving the control arms in the same place
creates about a 3 degree difference.  I cannot find any axle information but
the drive shaft people say 3 degrees on the u-joints of like a 16 inch drive
shaft is no problem but I think the axle turns a little faster.   A lot of guys
lower their Corvairs and an upward angle is introduced at that time, and I do
not believe that they have any problems.

What I would like to do is push my engine back about an inch and a half (for
a total of about 2 inches with the Chris Wills adapter) and lengthen the
control arms an inch.  As I read an old news letter Arch Evans mentioned that in
the early stages of his kit he was going to make available lengthened control
arms as the wheel well would accommodate this and also look better.

Rob