[V8Vairs] Lengthened Wheel Base Corvairs

Chris Wills cjwills at msn.com
Thu Jun 9 00:06:34 EDT 2005

Rob,

The Wills adapter makes the transaxle 1/2" longer than a Crown, so I assume you are looking for extra leg room.  3 degrees is acceptable, I believe.  The axles shafts actually turn slower than a driveshaft, about 1/3 the speed for a typical 3.08 or 3.27 axle ratio.  U joints are most efficient when there is no angle, but I doubt if you could notice the difference in power through a 3 degree angle.  Note if you lengthen the arms you may need to move the upper spring socket, and shock may hit the control arm.  For small changes in wheelbase, say 1/2", you could use  1/2" spacers to move the control arm mounting bracket back 1/2".  Or, if you have a friend in the bodywork business, move the wheel wells back 1-2 inches - no one would be able to tell, but it is a lot of work.

Chris Wills