[V8Vairs] Hydraulic Clutch Question

Don Stephens don.losthorseranch at direcway.com
Tue Jun 28 17:04:10 EDT 2005

I am trying to install a new hydraulic clutch in my rig and have run
into a wall. The previous owner had the usual 60s something brake and
clutch master cylinder, but it was pulling away from the firewall. After
looking at the pictures of the Rick Norris car, I tried to follow his
lead by putting an '87 Jeep master on the  firewall opposite the dash
outboard clutch pivot brace.

I measured the amount of movement of the clutch rod from rest and fully
depressed. I then worked out the swing of the clutch arm under the dash
and made sure that I was using the full amount of movement. I have bled
the living hell out of the system, and am fairly sure there is no air in
the lines, and had my wife depress the clutch pedal while I watched the
TO arm at the bellhousing move. It moves, but only about 1/2 way through
what I THINK it should move. It does not disengage the clutch.

Can anyone stop a suicide from happening here and suggest a way to
troubleshoot this?

I've also noticed that the return spring at the bellhousing is pulling
the arm at an angle, and I'm thinking that this might have worn the
input shaft sleeve, but I'm just guessing....

Don